5.30.2009

Photos: Nova Scotia

Here are a few selected pics I took when I was in Nova Scotia for 2 weeks in May. (Click here to see the rest of the pics.)



These brightly painted houses were taken in Lunenburg, NS. I love how bold they are! The town is really cute with lots of nice little shops and places to eat. :)



I think the church in the pic above looks like something Tim Burton would have designed, so I had to take a pic!


What a foggy day at the beach! We were visiting Cape St. Marys and could not see the Atlantic Ocean at all. It was so eerie and mysterious, but I loved it!!! :) My Dad walked along the beach (in the pic above) picking up interesting looking rocks for his collection. Cutting rocks and gemstones are just one of his many hobbies. :) The little bits of seaweed, sticks and other things that were strewn along the beach were very interesting to me (see where I get it from, haha)! They were so intricate and had strange shapes and textures. They kind of remind me of the little details in Audrey Kawasaki's paintings (like the Two Sisters print I own).



While I was visiting my parents, I got to see the new house they've been renovating. Well, it isn't really "new" at 144-years-old, but after they're finished updating it, it will be practically new! lol. They hope to move into it in a month or two. (You can read more about their renovating adventures on my Mom's blog.)


Two huge 100+yr old oak trees fell down in a lightning storm on my parents property earlier this year. My parents are sooo lucky that the trees fell *away* from their new house! O_o They've hired some people to clear away the trees, but because they are SO BIG, it takes a lot of time and money! Check out the number of rings on this cross-section, it's just amazing!



Nova Scotia has a lot of quaint details likes these Canada Post mailboxes on a naval-esque post in Digby, NS, and a homemade squirrel swing at a children's playground in the Acadian town of Mavillette, NS. (I love that squirrel swing so much! haha.)



Amazing natural made formations (by cooling lava!!!) in Point Prim, NS.


Now what's a photo post about Nova Scotia without a standard lighthouse pic? lol. ;D



Downtown Halifax looks soooo European!


This is NSCAD's student gallery. They had such awesome work! The art projects had such variety. There was woodworking, fabric arts, painting, digital media, drawing, photography, sculpture, etc. Every piece was really creative, you could tell that each artist put everything they had into their work. We had been going into other art galleries in Halifax that were really stuffy and snooty, so it was really refreshing to enter this student gallery with all these vibrant and creative pieces of art.

My only critique is that I was rudely told by the gallery patron to not take photos (he could have been polite but instead was pretty nasty about it). I don't understand why I can't take pics, because most smaller galleries allow it (every smaller gallery I've been in here in LA allows it). Besides, how would someone in California, Europe or Japan know about the NSCAD Student Gallery or their program without the internet? They didn't have any flyers with prices, student names or contact info, which I thought was pretty lame. They don't even have a spot on their website that shows off their student work! So they're not even doing their job to promote their own students. This is where I come in, LOL. ;) I'm using my photos of this gallery as a way to promote them whether they like it or not!!!! LOL. (I just wish I could have gotten more pics of the work there before I was scolded. >_>) Visit the NSCAD Student Gallery if you're in Halifax, you won't be disappointed (unless you try to take pics, lol)!

2 comments:

Leeanna Butcher said...

I LOVE your photos of Nova Scotia- you have a great eye. Makes me want to visit. :)

Emily [Follow The White Rabbit] said...

Thanks! It's such a cute province, I think you'd like it. :)