4.29.2008

Sketchclub: The Gashlycrumb Tinies

I seriously don't know how I found time to work on plushies and draw during the *same week*! I guess when I'm super duper busy, I find a way of packing in a lot of stuff at the same time. I dunno. lol. But I think the main reason why I participated this time is because of the theme. This week was Edward Gorey's "The Gashlycrumb Tinies", which is one of my favourite books of all time (as well as one of my favourite artists of all time)! I was so motivated to draw stuff for it, that I topped my record and drew 3 pieces! :O (The Sketchclub is even thinking of putting a book together if we do the whole alphabet, but I don't think we'll get that many entries.) It was a lot of fun working on this theme, and I drew while watching some of my favourite movies (Labyrinth, Neverending Story, and Mirrormask). It was weird drawing my own versions of this story because I think Gorey did an amazing job on the book, and it would be near impossible to make any new version even come close to the amazingness that he's done.

Anyways, here they are:


Z is for ZILLAH who drank too much gin.
This one was my first, and favourite piece, and the one I spent time putting extra detail into. I know that Zillah looks older than a child, but I had so much fun drawing her long legs and little feet, that she just became older. :P I added a Sweet Madness Doll into the pic for fun... it's like dolly tea time! ^_^


C is for CLARA who wasted away.
Clara was fun to draw. I tried using sharp shapes in this one. I like how her hair looks like it's shriveling up and dying.


M is for MAUD, who was swept out to sea.
I tried to make Maud look like a little French girl. ^_^ I thought about going for a Hokusai type wave (which is one of my favourite pieces of art of all time), but since it was my last drawing, I got lazy and didn't bother even putting any detail into it. :P

I drew everything in my sketchbook with a light blue pencil. The colour was altered later, in Photoshop. When I'm drawing, I can already see the colour of certain things before there's colour there (for instance, Maud has brown hair, she's wearing a white & navy blue outfit, and she has a bright red ribbon tied around her waist). As I was working on each piece, I already knew the colour theme I wanted to change it to. I decided a on monochromatic scheme because I suck at digital colouring, and I figure that this is the easiest thing to do, and I think it looks nice. (It's also a style I first tried out with the Leprechaun I drew back in March.)

No comments: