6.14.2010

Photos: Vancouver with a Holga 120N

Here are some of my first pics from my Holga 120N camera (it uses real film)! It was my first time shooting with a Holga, and to say I was nervous is an understatement! (The last time I shot with real film was last summer with a 35mm disposible camera) Because it's not a digital camera (nor takes batteries) there's no way to check and see if the pic has turned out or not. You just point + shoot and hope everything turns out okay. The Holga has a viewfinder so you don't actually look through the lens when taking a pic (unlike just about every digital camera out there), so you have to judge the focal distance yourself. I had no idea if anything was turning out, but after getting my pics developed I learned that the Holga has a large focal distance so chances are that things will be in focus. I got 10 pics from a 12 pic roll because I had the lens cap on for 2 of the pics (haha). I had to go to a special store in Vancouver to have the roll developed because no one develops 120mm format film. The cost to get the roll on CD (no prints) was $20.00! :O It's a little pricey but after seeing how the pics turned out I can't wait to go out and shoot more!

I love how this pic of Yaletown looks like it was taken in the 40's (minus the new cars of course).


Table + chair legs on the patio @ JJ Bean.


This is using the fisheye lens. I'm not sure why the film screwed up, but I really like the imperfections of the Holga for this reason!


Here I'm experimenting with double-exposures (so awesome that the Holga lets you do that!).



Eros Bendato Scrippolato by Igor Mitoraj, from the city-wide art exhibit Vancouver Biennale:
"This work depicts a fragment of an ancient monument to Eros, the god of love, here blindfolded, suggesting that love is blind."

No comments: